Songs that lend a voice to the equestrian world in a way only music can.
Surrounded by polo signs and freshly manicured grass, it’s hard not to think about horses when you’re at Coachella. So this year, I decided to curate a ten song playlist of tunes actually heard at Coachella that speak to the equestrian sensibility.
I begin with one of my all time favorite horses tunes: “Judy and the Dream of Horses” by Belle & Sebastian. The band closed their outstanding set on the Outdoor Stage this year with this song as the sun went down on day two. It was truly special.
The daytime also offered up some wonderful band, encouraging the festival goers to get up and dance despite the heat. Jamestown Revival and Clean Bandit were absolutely two bands that everybody on their feet. Jamestown Revival brought down the house with their hit “California,” but I think Fur Coat Blues speaks more to equestrians. For me this song is about living up to expectations, which is something we equestrians are always trying to do.
Meanwhile, with bandit in their name, the Clean Bandit is always going to make me think of the old west. But actually they are bringing back ‘90’s dance music with a classical edge – and it is marvelous. Especially in an anthem that is appropriate for any athlete, “Stronger.”
Vance Joy was on hand at Coachella with his epic hit “Riptide,” and I include it on this list for it’s excellent reference to the movie, “Midnight Cowboy:” “Is this movie that I think you’ll like. This guy decides to quit his job and heads to New York City. This cowboy’s running from himself…”
MØ and Fitz and The Tantrums did their best to teach equestrians how to walk to the rhythm with “Walk This Way” and “The Walker” respectively. Meanwhile, the band Ride, and Ryan Adams with his tune “Let It Ride,” took it to the next level, offering up songs that might as well be about keeping your cool in the saddle.
Finally, Coasts and Florence + The Machine gallop in with the two final tracks on the playlist that celebrate the pure exhilaration of a horse in full motion. It is like “A Rush of Blood To The Head,” as sings Coasts.
So, as Florence says, “Can you hear the horses? Cause here they come!” with the Equestrian’s Coachella 2015 playlist!
Listen to the full playlist on Spotify here: An Equestrian’s Coachella 2015.
1. JUDY AND THE DREAM OF HORSES by Belle & Sebastian from the album If You’re Feeling Sinister
2. STRONGER by Clean Bandit from the album New Eyes
3. FUR COAT BLUES by Jamestown Revival from the album Utah
4. RIPTIDE by Vance Joy from the album Dream Your Life Away
5. WALK THIS WAY by MØ from the album No Mythologies to Follow
6. THE WALKER by Fitz and The Tantrums from the album More Than Just A Dream
7. VAPOUR TRAIL by Ride from the album Nowhere
8. LET IT RIDE by Ryan Adams & The Cardinals from the album Cold Roses
9. A RUSH OF BLOOD by Coasts from the album Coasts
10. DOG DAYS ARE OVER by Florence + The Machine from the album Lungs